CAPE SAN BLAS LIGHTHOUSE
Cape San Blas
St. Joseph Bay, FL
Cape San Blas is a dangerous shoal that extends over five miles into the Gulf, east of the port of Panama City and west of the port of Apalachicola. In 1847 the first lighthouse was constructed there. After a storm toppled it into the sea in 1851, Congress authorized a second one which was completed in 1856, just as the great storm of 1856 arrived in the area and toppled it into the sea.
The Lighthouse Board then built a third brick tower in 1859, but that was burned at the start of the Civil War. After the war, the lighthouse was lighted in 1865 and a new keeper's home added in 1870. This tower was toppled by encroaching waters in 1882.
In 1885 a movable 96' iron skeleton tower was erected 900' from the Gulf. By 1894, the water was again washing away the foundation and in 1918 the tower was again moved 1,850' from the water where it remains today, along with two nearby two-storied, six-room wood-frame keeper buildings.
The lantern is 101' above sea level and can be seen from 25 miles at sea as it flashes white every twenty seconds for one second. A radio beacon also transmits on 320 kilohertz.
Located on the Cape San Blas Coast Guard Station, the light is automated and can be reached by climbing the ninety-foot tower.
LIGHTHOUSE - 96' / OPEN - Yes / MUSEUM - No / FEE - No