SAINT JOHNS LIGHT STATION

1954


U. S. Naval Air Station
Mayport, FL


In 1954 the Coast Guard replaced the St. Johns River Lightship with a modern 64' concrete lighthouse. The lighthouse was equipped with an aero-marine beacon with a white light of 200,000 candle-power that can guide ships 22 nautical miles out at sea and has a fog signal at the end of the St. Johns River jetties.

The station was completely automated in 1967 and an alarm system at the Coast Guard station alerts personnel in the event of a malfunction.

The tower represents a new type of lighthouse that is sleek, functional, practical and automated.

LIGHTHOUSE - 64' / OPEN - No / MUSEUM - No / FEE - None

LIGHTHOUSE INDEX