SAINT JOSEPH BAY LIGHTHOUSE
Port St. Joe, FL
The first lighthouse on St. Joseph Peninsula was built by the government in 1838 at the entrance to the bay. The height of the tower was 50 feet. Abandoned in 1847 in favor of the Cape San Blas Lighthouse, the St. Joseph lighthouse washed away in 1851.
In 1898, Congress appropriated funds to build a new structure on the mainland instead of St. Joseph Peninsula. Built at Beacon Hill, it was called the St. Joseph Light Range Station and consisted of a house with a beacon on top. The building was completed in 1902. On top of the house was a light, 96' above sea level that could be seen 13 miles at sea.
When the U.S. government discontinued the St. Joseph Light Range Station it was abandoned to the elements. In 1979, it was purchased privately, moved to Simmons Bayou and converted into a private home.