SAINT SIMONS LIGHTHOUSE
South End of Island
Saint Simons Island, GA
The original lighthouse was built in 1810 at the southern end of Saint Simons Island east of Brunswick, GA, to mark the Saint Simons Sound.
Constructed of tabby, the tower was a white, tapered octagonal structure seventy-five feet tall and topped by a ten-foot iron lantern lit by oil lamps suspended by chains. Serving first as a harbor light, it was raised to the status of a coastal light in1857 and a third-order Fresnel lens was installed.
In 1862 the tower and all the light-station outbuildings were destroyed by Confederate troops as they retreated from the island.
Following the Civil War, construction was begun to build a new lighthouse with a 106-foot tower. Sickness plagued the construction crews and delayed completion of the lighthouse and despite the lives lost, the tower was completed in 1872.
The tower is painted white and stands 106-feet above sea level.
OPEN - Yes-Daily / MUSEUM - Yes / FEE - Yes