1818 & 1833 (Retired)
Coast Guard Station
One of the first two U. S. government lights on Lake Erie, the Buffalo Main Lighthouse was completed and went into operation in 1818 overlooking the terminus of the Erie Canal.
In 1833 a new and more powerful lighthouse was built on the end of a 1,400-foot-long pier. It was an octagonal limestone tower that rose 68' above the lake, but by 1872 a major breakwater light station was in operation on a 4,000-foot-long breakwater. In 1985 the Buffalo Lighthouse Association began the restoration of the 1833 tower which was completed in 1985.
LIGHTHOUSE - 68' / OPEN - No / MUSEUM - No