East Lake Road
In 1829 Congress built a 40-foot-high fieldstone, conical tower on a bluff then known as Portland Harbor, a community some 20 miles west of Dunkirk, NY. Then, in 1832, a "burning spring" of natural gas was discovered near the lighthouse and soon it was piped into the tower to light the specially designed lamps and became the first public building in America to be illuminated by gas. It is believed to be the only lighthouse in the world to have been lighted by gas.
In 1838 the gas gave out and in 1859 the government abandoned the lighthouse and eventually sold it to a private party for use as a home, which it remains to this day. The keeper's cottage has 20-foot-thick stone walls. The private residence is not open to the public but may be viewed from the public right-of-way.
LIGHTHOUSE - 40' / OPEN - No / MUSEUM - No